VA Heart of Texas Health Care Network
VISN 17: Telehealth Provides Easier Access to Health Care
VA Healthcare - VISN 17 is using modern technology to expand access and provide patient-centered care in non-traditional locations, such as a Veteran's home, an institution of higher learning, or a community clinic. VISN 17 offers three types of Telehealth technologies:
- Store and Forward Telehealth is the acquisition and storage of clinical information such as data, images, sound, and video.
- Home Telehealth makes it possible for clinicians to monitor patients in their homes using telephone lines and mobile phones.
- Clinical Video Telehealth connects Veterans with distant providers in real time using video teleconferencing.
Telehealth enables more accessible and convenient health care for Veterans. It reduces the time Veterans need to spend in the hospital, and increases access to services without requiring long drives for patients.
List of services (vary by location)
- Diabetic Education
- Diabetic Retinal Screening
- Genomic Care
- Home Care Monitoring
- Infectious Disease
- Mental Health
- Respiratory Therapy
- Sleep Medicine
- Smoking Cessation
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Weight Management
Facility Telehealth Coordinators contact information:
- Amarillo VA Health Care System, Amarillo, Texas - (806)355-9703 X4513
- Central Texas Veteran Health Care System, Temple, Texas - (254) 743-2546
- El Paso VA Health Care System, El Paso, Texas - (915) 564-6100 X6605
- South Texas Veterans Health Care, San Antonio, Texas - (210) 616-8466
- VA North Texas Health Care System, Dallas, Texas - (214) 857-4440
- VA Texas Valley Coastal Bend Health Care System, Harlingen, Texas - (956) 291-9000 X69047
- West Texas VA Health Care System, Big Spring, Texas - (432) 263-7361 X2169